Summer Marketing Intern (Remote Position)
About Laiik, the Brand
L A I I K (/lay-ik/) is a DC-based, “Made in Greece” start-up footwear brand reinventing the classic Greek sandal for conscientious women who appreciate responsibly made, beautiful footwear at an accessible price. As a direct-to-consumer brand, similar to All Birds, Everlane, Bonobos, etc, we cut out the traditional retailers in order to offer our customers a premium quality product at a more affordable price. We describe it as “Modern Luxury”. Each pair of our shoes is responsibly crafted by hand at two small family-run factories in Greece and made from vegetable-tanned vachetta leathers sourced from Italy and processed with natural tannins extracted from trees and plants to minimize its impact on the environment.
- We believe in making beautiful shoes that celebrate the classic, minimalist Greek aesthetic, elevated with modern lines and rich, bold colors and textures.
- We believe in restoring and revitalizing Greek heritage shoemaking and creating products that last for ages.
- We believe luxury and fashion must be wearable… our shoes are to be lived in.
- We strive to be eco-conscious, and use the least toxic, most responsibly sourced materials we can find.
- We believe in slow fashion and not disposable, fast fashion.
- We believe that fashion and luxury needs to be more inclusive, and that people should be able to afford handmade, ethically produced products.
About Laiik, the Team
Having launched in the summer of 2018, we are a young company with a very small and dedicated team that is spread out across three cities in three different countries: Washington, DC; London, England; and Athens, Greece. We are a family-owned and run business and we believe creating a successful brand is all about the people we work with and the relationships we build.
2020 has been an interesting year, as you are undoubtedly aware. If this were a typical spring/summer season, we’d be busy showing off our new 2020 collection in multi-city, physical pop-ups, in addition to our online store. But COVID-19 has forced us to slow down and focus intently on our digital marketing efforts, building awareness and driving online sales without the benefit of our pop-ups.
That’s where you come in. We’re seeking a fashion marketing intern to help shape the future of our digital marketing efforts. This is not an admin position. We expect you to jump in with both feet and help us try to answer the big questions from day one: How do we better create awareness, tell better stories, engage more proactively with our customers, and drive online traffic and conversions? How do we use our limited budget in the most impactful way? How can we replicate our great in-store brand experience online in a way that builds trust and brand love? If these questions excite you, read on.
We are a small team, and we often all wear different hats. You will most directly be working with the Chief Marketing Officer and our Digital Marketing Consultant, but will also occasionally work with other co-founders and team members. You will have the opportunity to learn and grow your skills, but also to take responsibility and see immediate results for the work you do.
This is a paid internship position. The duration of the internship is 2-3 months, and we would like the candidate to commit between 16-20 hours of their time per week. There is potential for longer term engagement beyond the 2-3 month period.
Responsibilities & Learning Objectives
- Assist in the creation of engaging, relevant and goal-driven content for our website blog/newsletter calendar. Tasks will include brainstorming new content ideas, writing compelling copy, creating strong visuals.
- Help run current social channels (IG, IG stories, FB, Pinterest, and YouTube) and build new ones. Find new ways to reach and engage our audience on our current platforms, and identify new channel opportunities.
- Research and help build new partnership and collaboration opportunities with like-minded brands and organizations.
- Assist in managing and updating our website.
- Assist Laiik in monitoring analytics and developing bi-weekly reports.
PR and Influencer Outreach
- Research and develop media lists for both traditional outlets and bloggers
- Alongside the CMO, develop and write PR pitches and press releases
- Help expand our influencer outreach efforts, discovering brand- and values-aligned influencers who help grow our brand presence; work includes reaching out to influencers, and building and managing relationships.
- Assist CMO in creating a visually engaging media kit.
- Opportunity to creatively put your existing marketing skills to the test for a young fashion start-up.
- Enhance skills in marketing, social media data analytics, content creation, and public relations.
- Mentoring and training with the CMO and other key executive team members on how to launch a fashion start-up.
- Enhance written and oral communications skills.
- Be flexible and work with interns' schedules and workloads.
- The internship pays an hourly rate plus a couple of free pairs of Laiik sandals.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, driven, up-and-comer who is passionate about (and familiar with) fashion, e-commerce and social media marketing. You should love storytelling and be able to spot good brand communications when you see it. As this is a remote position, we expect you to be organized, proactive, highly motivated, and able to multitask. We want you to take initiative, be active in brainstorming sessions, and share your opinions and ideas with confidence. You should be creative and have the ability to create unique content, with strong visual and writing skills.
This is a remote position, so the candidate can be based anywhere, but needs to have at least 3 hours that overlap with the Washington, DC working day.
Desired but not essential: knowledge of editing platforms such as Photoshop, InDesign, or Premiere Pro; passion for slow fashion, ethical manufacturing and sustainability.
How to Apply
We want to get a sense of who you are and how you think. Instead of a traditional cover letter, please provide, along with your resume, thoughtful and considered answers to the questions below.
- Give us an example of a small-to-medium sized fashion brand that markets themselves well, and explain why.
- Share an example of a time when a new brand caught your attention and turned you into a customer.
- What has inspired you lately?
- What are you looking for in an internship and why?
- What draws you to fashion, and where do you see your career taking you?