Laiik Makes Greek Food: Favas Santorini
If you've ever been to Greece or any Greek restaurant, you're sure to have tried this creamy, smooth and oh-so-satisfying dip made, not with fava beans, but with yellow split peas. Garnished usually with red onions and capers (which is also highly recommended), in this recipe we serve it with roasted red tomatoes. So grab your Laiik sneakers, head to the farmer's market for fresh ingredients and come make Greek food with us!
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15-25 minutes
Ingredients: 4.25 cups of water, 1 cup of yellow split peas, 1 carrot, 1 yellow onion, 1 garlic clove, olive oil, salt, pepper (all to taste), 1tsp sugar, 5 cups of vegetable broth, 1 sprig of rosemary, 1 lemon.
- Place the yellow split peas in a bowl, and pour the hot water over them, gently mixing with a wooden spoon, until the water darkens.
- Strain them, and then allow them to sit.
- Chop a carrot, onion and clove of garlic, and add to a pot.
- Add, salt, pepper, sugar, and 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil, and gently sauté on a medium heat
- Add the beans and sauté a little more, before adding the vegetable broth
- Add the laurel leaves and rosemary sprig, and allow to gently boil, until most of the liquid has evaporated. (15-25 minutes)
- Take off the heat, and remove the rosemary and bay leaves from the mixture
- Add the mixture to a food processor.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil, and blend the mixture.
- In this recipe, we garnished with roasted cherry tomatoes and onions
- Alternatively, garnish with diced onion and capers