Laiik Makes Greek Food: Koulouri Thessaloniki
Execution time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Waiting time: 60-90 minutes
- 150 grams hard flour
- 350 grams all-purpose flour
- 8 grams salt
- 40 grams sugar
- 300ml water at room temperature
- 18 grams dry yeast
For the topping
- 300 grams sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 500 ml luke-warm water
- In a mixing bowl, add the dry yeast to the water, and mix until dissolved. Leave for 6-7 minutes.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients to the bowl (hard flour, all-purpose flour, salt and sugar), and knead with a mixer or by hand, until the dough becomes soft, elastic and easy to work.
- Move the dough to a well-oiled bowl. Allow to rest, for between 60-90 minutes at room temperature, until approximately double in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200DegC, on the convection setting
- Fill a bowl with the luke-warm water (500ml), add 2 tablespoons sugar, and mix until dissolved
- Add the sesame seeds to a flat tray
- Oil up your working surface, and cut the dough into approximately 80-gram pieces
- Form the dough balls into long strips and join at the ends to form the circular koulouri
- Dip the circular dough into the sugar water, and then into the sesame tray, until fully covered by sesame - then place in a tray lined with baking paper.
- Cook in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until golden in colour
- Serve plain, or with cheese and jam.